Due to the fact cigars are made of premium tobacco leaves, they need a specific humidity level to stay fresh. Ideally this humidity level should remain between 68% and 72%. Along with the ideal humidity level, you need to make sure that the temperature of the place where cigars are kept does not rise beyond 25 degrees centigrade.
How to Keep #Cigars Fresh without a Cigar Humidor – a few short term methods
- Let’s start with disposable, zip-lock bags. Available from some cigar shops and supermarkets these disposable bags can be used to keep your valuable cigars safe and fresh. They come with a zip lock that helps in sealing the bags after you put your cigars in them. Do not forget to place a damp napkin (distilled water) inside before you seal the bags, but avoid wetting your cigars.
- Then there’s the jar method. Find an empty clean jar and fill it about a quarter way with distilled water and then put some sponge in it, to soak it up. Cover the sponge with a piece of plastic and then put your cigars in the jar, ensuring there is no water contact. You can now place the jar in a refrigerator and keep your cigars fresh for up to 10 days.
- You can also use a mason jar with moisture beads to keep your cigars fresh. Just fill the mason jar with some distilled water and moisture beads and you have your own homemade humidor to store your cigars for a few days.
Best Cigar Protection Advice (we feel it is our duty to share best practice!)
Humidification is the best way of keeping your cigars safe and fresh. Cigar humidors were invented exactly for this purpose. You can actually keep your cigars fresh using a good humidor for many years. You just have to make sure that the environment in which the cigars are kept is properly controlled.
Humidors not only keep the cigars fresh (retaining their flavours and aromas), but also protect them from tobacco beetles, moulds and bacteria. Happy puffing from the Cigar Cutter Expert team!
- What Is A Premium Cigar? – An Expert’s Take
- Best Cigars Lounges and Bars – Our Top List
- How To Make A Humidor Of Your Own – A DIY Project
- A Beginner’s Guide On How To Cut A Cigar
- How To Light A Cigar The Proper Way
- How To Store Your Cigars Properly
- Learning How To Keep Cigars Fresh
- The Best Cigar Cutters in 2019 – Buyer’s Guide, Reviews & Tips!